Home | About Me | 13th anniversary! | Balticon 2014 | Rhapsody | Philcon 2013 | Anime North 2013 | December 2012 | Midwest Furfest 2012 | Philcon 2012 | Halloween 2012 | Matsuricon 2012 | Anime North 2012 | Spring Fling 2012 | Jovina's Tenth Anniversary! | Halloween 2011 | Otakon 2011 | Spring Fling 2011 | Otakon 2010 | Spring Fling 2010 | Christmas 2009 | Halloween 2009 | Spring Fling, 2009 | Valentine's Day, 2009 | Halloween 2008 | Otakon 2008 | Spring Fling 2008 | Rubber Doll World Rendezvous | Miko | Christmas 2007 | Rubber Maid | Halloween 2007 | Horrorfind 2007 | Otakon 2007 | Spring Fling 2007 | Museum of Sex | Sherri's visit | Xmas 2006 | August Visitors | A visit from Marti | Spring Fling 2006 | Philcon 2005 | Midwest Furfest 2005 | Roxy mask | Halloween 2005 | Horrorfind 2005 | Visiting Terri | Chicago, May 2005 | Jovina's Spring Fling | A Little Kig | Lakeshore | Philcon 2004 | Diabolique! | Jovina's Halloween Happening Second Edition | Worldcon 2004 | Balticon 2004 | Hotel fun | Jovina's Snowball 2! | Jovina's Halloween Happening | Maskon 2003 | Jovina Goes Swimming | Costumecon 2003 | Unique Female Masks | Jovina's SnowBall! | Jovina......Movie Star! | Happy Birthday! | Maskon 2002 | Slop-on | "Mini-Maskon" Page. | Spring is here! | The secrets of mask making (April Fool!) | A Special Message! | Jovina meets Morganna! | Jovina meets Sherri | Halloween 2001 Page | The Millenium Philcon Page | The Mask Page | Making and Repairing Masks | The PVC Page | The Leather Page | The Latex Page | The Miscellaneous Page! | Friends Page | The Bureau Series | Favorite Links | Contact Me | Artwork
Jovina's Masking Site
Painting a Paul Barrett-Brown mask

Recently, Marti asked me if I could strip the paint off of some PBB masks that she had and repaint them.....Well, it was certainly worth a try!  Here I show the results so far of my work.

What a blast!

Here is one of the PBB masks in my abrasive blasting cabinet.  I choose to use crushed walnut shells as a blasting media because they do have sharp edges, but are a "gentle" abrasive.  The blast cabinet is normally filled with glass beads and used for glass beading antique car parts.  In this shot, the mask is half stripped.  The walnut shells will strip off the paint because it is harder and less flexible than the latex is, and the latex suffered no damage in the process.

Getting prettier

Here is the PBB mask with the new latex/acrylic paint and the eyes and lips painted.  The lips are done with "Deviant" red latex.  The whites of the eyes are done with a latex/acrylic mix, and the iris are done with "Deviant" blue latex.  Still not quite done, there is shadow, eyebrows, eyelashes, and blush to go yet!  Click the links below for some more views!

The right side.

All gone!

Here is the same mask with all the old paint removed.  Looks a little bit different!  Click on the links below to see views of another mask with the paint stripped off.

A front view.

Right side.

Left side.

Those eyes are outstanding now!

Here is the same mask in differnet light, and with the eyes lined with black latex.  Again "Deviant" brand was used.

Nice and shiny!

Here is a different mask that I stripped with a new coat of paint.  Actually, what I sprayed on was a 50/50 mixture of latex and acrylic paint.  I used the small spray gun shown on the previous page at 50psi pressure.  The result was a little too shiny for me....a bad habit I picked up from painting cars :)  .  But I was able to dull the finish back down by giving it a second lite blasting in the cabinet.  The walnut shells did not hurt the new finish because it was flexible enought to withstand it, but it did have the desired effect of dulling it down.

Other side!

Finally, here are some detail shots of the eyes and the lips.  The eyes are still not finished here.  Click these links to see them.

The eye, before Eyeliner.

The lips!

I am planning on having this mask ready for "Mini-maskon" (your ARE going aren't you, see my info page), and there is not much left to do.  I will put up additional pictures as I finish it.